Stará Ľubovňa and surroundings

Castle of Podolínec

The castle which used to dominate the town in the past, was built by Imrich from Perín in 1409 at the place of the previous western gate. In 1412 the fortress in Podolínec became a component part of the Scepus deposit. In the 15th and 16th centuries it served as the seat of Podolínec vice mayors. In 1593 the Scepus mayor Sebastián Lubomirski had the castle reconstructed in the Renaissance style as it is evidenced by the stone wall board on the face of the former main castle building. In 1642 Stanislav Lubomirski allocated two castle rooms to be used by the Piarists until they had their monastery built. In the course of the 18th and 19th centuries the castle was decaying. Since the early 20th century after its restore during which one floor was removed from the building, it has been serving as seat of the townhall.

UE INTERREG Euroregion
This publication has been co-financed with resources of the European Regional Development Fund within the framework of the Programme INTERREG IIIA Poland – The Slovak Republic, managed by the Carpathian Euroregion – Poland in Rzeszów.